By Richard Bauman
- A attention-grabbing viewpoint on intertextuality: the concept written and spoken texts converse to each other, e.g. via style or allusions.
- Presents a chain of ethnographic case stories to demonstrate the topic.
- Draws on a vast variety of oral performances and literary documents from around the world.
- The author’s creation units a framework for the research of style, practice and intertextuality.
- Shows how performers mix genres, e.g., telling tales approximately riddles or legends approximately magical verses, or developing revenues pitches.
Read Online or Download A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality PDF
Best folklore & mythology books
Yodel in Hi-Fi explores the colourful and sundry traditions of yodelers all over the world. faraway from being a old fashioned and demise paintings, yodel is a thriving vocal strategy that has been perennially renewed by means of singers from Switzerland to Korea, from Colorado to Iran. Bart Plantenga bargains a full of life and excellent journey of yodeling in genres from opera to hip-hop and in venues from cowboy campfires and Oktoberfests to movie soundtracks and yogurt advertisements.
First released in 2005. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Why do we:•Christen ships and crusing vessels or seek advice from them as ‘she’? •Avoid the quantity 13, breaking mirrors or jogging lower than ladders? •Use the word having a ‘skeleton within the cupboard’? •Dress child boys in blue, communicate of ‘true blue’ or ‘blue-blooded’? •Decorate the Christmas Tree or consume Easter Eggs?
From the clamor of bygone parades to the phantom odor of burned rubber on path sixty six, ghoulish and supernatural visions flourish in Bloomington-Normal. Claimed via a devastating hearth in 1859, the spirit of a tender woman haunts Kelly�s Bakery. viewers to Kemp corridor record seeing the threat of a girl in purple.
- Iranian Folk Narrative: A Survey of Scholarship: Volume 8 (Routledge Library Editions: Language & Literature of the Middle East)
- The Empty Seashell: Witchcraft and Doubt on an Indonesian Island
- A Guide to Haunted New England: Tales from Mount Washington to the Newport Cliffs (Haunted America)
- Haunted History of Old San Antonio (Haunted America)
- American Folktales: From the Collections of the Library of Congress: From the Collections of the Library of Congress
Extra info for A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality
A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality by Richard Bauman